Bobbie, why do you hate the police so much????

I don’t hate the police. I just refuse to place them on an altar and kiss their feet.

I think I first became disillusioned with the police in 1984 when I tried to report the antics of the babysitter to the Military Police on CFB Namao and then the Edmonton Police Service when the military police told me that I would have to go to the civilian police to make a report.

Now that I have the court martial transcripts and the CFSIU investigation paperwork from 1980 I have no doubt in my mind that the base military police and the CFSIU would have been under orders to not take any subsequent complaints related to Captain McRae or his teenage accomplice P.S..

Nobody cared, everyone was passing the buck and no doubt there were politics at play.

Around 1987, I started working for Rainbow Games in Toronto which was owned at the time by three serving members of the Toronto Police Service. I was exposed to police officers that were racist, police officers that were homophobic, police officers that turned a blind eye to drugs or who were in fact using drugs, police officers that put other people in harm’s way by the use of “inside information”.

In 1994, after a very brief stint back in Toronto, I returned to Vancouver. I was on E.I. at the time and had to keep my expenses to a minimum. So I rented a room at the Salvation Army Dunsmuir House for Men. Cheap rent, clean bed. My room got broken into one day and my possessions were stolen. I called the VPD and reported the break and enter. A VPD Sgt. pulled up a little while later. Wouldn’t get out of the cruiser, had me come out to the curb. He asked me why I was wasting his time. I asked him what he meant. He said that I should think about why I’m in the Sally Anne.

About 20 years later when I was receiving counselling related to the Captain McRae / P.S. matter I had mentioned to this counsellor the time I spent in the Dunsmuir House. The counsellor asked me if I knew what the Dunsmuir House was. I said I knew it was the Salvation Army and that it was single rooms for guys without a lot of money. The counsellor then informed me that the Dunsmuir House also operated as a federal half way house. The VPD Sgt. had determined that I must have been in the Dunsmuir House as a prisoner on parole or early release and that if my belongings had been stolen then it was my own damn fault.

In 1995 I was living in New Westminster. I worked at a bowling centre called Lois Lanes that was owned by the Elashi family in East Richmond. My regular shift was 14:00 to 22:00 Tuesdays through Saturday. I had grown quite attached to going to see Friday night late shows at the Famous Players Capitol 6 on Granville.

I had gone to see a movie called “Congo”. I never made it home. On the North East side of Burrard and West Georgia I got attacked from behind by a guy with a steering wheel club and his girlfriend who had a large knife in her purse. The security guards from the Hyatt Regency came over and chased the suspects away.

I lost just over 200 ml of blood and had a serious concussion.

VPD constable Gil Puder was assigned to investigate.

Constable Puder was getting very irritated with me because I had trouble answering his questions. All I remember is the nurse who was putting the sutures in was telling him to be patient as I had lost a bit of blood and I had sustained trauma to my head.

Constable Puder angrily passed me a page to make my report out on as well as a business card. He told me to deliver the report to Main St. as soon as possible.

Rosa, Ali’s daughter, came to pick me up at the hospital. I spent the next day writing out the report and the things I could remember.

I caught the Skytrain downtown and went to Main Street station and handed the report to Puder. He read it and scoffed. He said that what I told him didn’t make any sense. He was certain that I was a male prostitute and that I had been attacked by a trick gone wrong.

I was pissed off. By this time I knew vaguely where I had seen my attacker and his girlfriend. So I back traced my steps that night and I ended back at the Capitol 6 on Granville. I pushed the delivery buzzer on the front door and the projectionist came down and asked me what I wanted. I explained to him and he went to get the theatre manager. When the manager came down I explained to her what had happened after the movie let out on Saturday morning. I described my two attackers to her. She asked me to wait outside while she reviewed the video tapes.

She came back about 20 minutes later and said that she saw the two people I had described. They had been in the concession line right next to me. It appeared that I had pulled a big wad of money out of my pocket. As soon as I had done that the girlfriend directed her boyfriend’s attention to me. As soon as I paid for my popcorn and drink they left the concession line and followed me right back into the theatre. When the movie let out they tailed me right out of the theatre.

That “big wad of money”? It was Canadian Tire money that Rosa had given to me earlier in the day as she knew that I intended to stop at Canadian Tire the next day.

The theatre manager wouldn’t let me view the tape, but she said that she was taking it out of the rack and she’d keep it locked in her office. She gave me her business card to pass on to Constable Puder.

When I contacted Puder, he was angry, said that I was wasting his time with the ridiculous goose chase. I passed him the manager’s contact information.

The manager contacted me about two months later asking when the police officer was coming to pick the tape up, or even contact her for that matter.

I called and left messages for Puder, he never returned them.

I went to VPD HQ on Main Street. Basically I was told in no uncertain terms to fuck off and not to waste their time. It was suggested that if I ever stepped foot in the HQ again that I’d be arrested.

I never pursued this any further as I really didn’t have any faith in anyone that wore a uniform. And besides, with the demons in my head from CFB Namao I knew that no one would believe me.

My mugging has never been looked at the by VPD after that. When I filed an ATI with the VPD around 2019, all that came back was some vague notes from the night I was in the hospital, but nothing else.

Around 1996 I was at work. This was a day when the senior’s afternoon league was in bowling.

Ali called me up from the back and asked me to escort two young kids out of the bowling centre who had been stealing cigarettes from the seniors.

Ali showed me the video tape, and sure enough, these two weren’t just stealing smokes from open packs on the tables, they were reaching into purses and removing packs of cigarettes.

I escorted the two to the door and told them that Ali doesn’t want them back in the centre.

About 30 minutes later an RCMP cruiser from Richmond detachment showed up. This officer was threatening to arrest Ali and I if we ever harassed and made false accusations against the two boys again.

When Ali offered to show the constable the video tape, the constable said that recording people without their consent was illegal and he couldn’t watch it.

Ali said that he’d like to charge the two boys with theft. The RCMP constable got incredulous and said that Ali should do better to ensure that his bowlers not leave things laying around that might temp people to do things they wouldn’t otherwise.

I turned and walked away, the RCMP constable bellowed that he wasn’t finished talking to me. I told Ali that I was going home for the day. I went to the back, got my car keys, and went out to my car.

On the way out the constable kept following me telling me that he just wanted to talk to me. I told him that I didn’t want to talk to him. I got into my car and started it up. Doing my mirror check I noticed that the constable at first appearance was standing off to the side of my car, but on closer look I noticed that he had his knee intentionally bent out so that if I tried to back up I would have “assaulted” him.

Due to my time on the streets, and in homeless shelters, and having worked for Ed, Dirk, and Gary, I was more than a little familiar with the games that cops can play to escalate a situation so that no matter what, you’re in the wrong.

Also, having grown up in a military family living on military bases, I was more than familiar with these types of games that were played to goad someone into getting into trouble.

I shut my car off and got out and walked back towards the bowling centre.

The constable repeated that he only wanted to talk to me and that I had to listen to him. I kept walking. Without warning the constable jumped me from behind and took me to the ground. He just kept repeating, “I just want to talk to you, why won’t you listen to me”.

Next thing I know, Ali is outside hitting the constable with a broom. The seniors all come out and start yelling at the constable that he’s lost his mind. Some of the seniors drag him off of me.

The constable stands up, wipes his trousers off, walks to his cruiser, and speeds off.

A couple of days later were sitting in the office of Ali’s business lawyer, Mr. Morris. All I wanted was this constable to be disciplined and an apology.

And a couple of days later we’re sitting in the office of the detachment commander for the RCMP Richmond detachment. The commanding officer for “E” division is there as well.

I got my apology.

The C/O for the Richmond detachment assured me that this constable had been transferred out of province. And that this officer was going to receive conflict of interest training. See, this constable wasn’t on an official call when he came to the bowling centre. Those two boys that were barred from the bowling centre for stealing cigarettes? The were the cousins of the constable.

It appears that the constable was throwing his weight around and wanted to protect his “fam”.

And I know for a fact that had Ali not been a well established and respected property developer and had he not had a well respected lawyer like Mr. Morris, no action would have been taken against the constable.

I know that at the time I never would have been able to afford a lawyer like Mr. Morris. And had I called home for help my father would have just yelled and screamed on the phone that if I wasn’t such a fucking idiot that I wouldn’t be in trouble like this.

So yeah, by this time in my life I had absolutely no faith what so ever in any type of police force, and my faith would only get shaken more as time went on.

Around 2004, one of the commercial office buildings that I looked after in downtown Vancouver had numerous break and enters overnight. Four dentists had their offices broken into and numerous narcotics had been stolen.

The first call went out to the VPD at around 04:00 in the morning. The next call was around 08:00. Another call around 10:00. The tenants were waiting for the police file number to start their insurance claims, which would include repairing the damage to the suite doors.

I went down to the bicycle cop detachment which used to be at the Vogue Theatre on Granville. Nope, not their responsibility. How about just a file number? Nope, not their responsibility.

Flagged a constable down on Granville and Robson. Nope, they only take non-active break and enter calls via 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number.

I was 14 hours later before a cop showed up. And at that all he did was handed out police report papers to the tenants and asked them to fill them out and fax them in when they were done. No investigation. No concern about the stolen narcotics. Nada.

My next experience with police was of course the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service starting in 2011.

But Bobbie, that’s the military police, they’re not the same as the civilian police.

So far as the civilian police are concerned, the CFNIS are “peace officers” and therefore “brothers in arms”.

As we now know from the findings of the 2020 MPCC review, the CFNIS had the Court Martial transcripts and the CFSIU investigation paperwork right from the word go in March of 2011.

The CFNIS knew that it was the babysitter’s molestation of younger children on the base that led to the CFSIU investigating Captain McRae and subsequently charging Captain McRae with molesting children on the base.

But even though the CFNIS had access to this paperwork, I was told by the CFNIS on November 4th, 2011 that they could find no evidence at all that would indicate that the babysitter was capable of what I had accused him of.

Yes, I made a complaint to the Military Police Complaints Commission in 2012, and yes the MPCC concluded that the CFNIS conducted a proper investigation. But let’s talk about how these “police review” agencies really don’t work for the benefit of the public.

When a person wishes to make a complaint against the Military Police, they don’t go to the MPCC first. Their complaint must first go to the Provost Marshal. The Provost Marshal will determine which documents will be released to the MPCC and which documents won’t be released.

This is why in 2012 the MPCC had no idea that the CFNIS had the CFSIU investigation paperwork and the court martial transcripts from 1980.

During an MPCC review the MPCC cannot judge the quality of the evidence collected. Nor can the MPCC subpoena documents or witnesses. Participation in an MPCC review is voluntary. Any statement given to the MPCC by the CFNIS investigators or their chain of command is not considered to be under oath.

In 2020 it seems that the MPCC had realized that it had the wool pulled over its eyes during the 2012 review. Again, they couldn’t find fault with the 2015 to 2018 CFNIS investigation because they really don’t have the means to when the information they receive from the Provost Marshal is so very carefully controlled.

To get around this limitation, the MPCC seems to have looked at a parallel investigation that had been undertaken by the CFNIS during the 2015 to 2018 investigation of my complaint.

It seems that the CFNIS chain of command and the Provost Marshal didn’t raise any flags when the MPCC asked to look at this other parallel investigation that was being conducted against the babysitter because the man, P.G., who had made the complaint against P.S. had not raised a complaint with the Provost Marshal within the 12 month period after the investigation.

And this is how it came to light that the MPCC discovered that the CFNIS had the CFSIU DS 120-10-80 investigation paperwork and the Court Martial transcripts for the Court Martial of Captain McRae CM-62 July 15 to 18, 1980. Both documents which implicate the babysitter in the molestation of children on the base. And both which verify that I was telling Master Corporal Christian Cyr the truth when I told him about the visits to the rectory at the chapel and the “sickly sweet grape juice” that had been given to me on the 5 visits after he had asked me if I remembered anything about the base chaplain having been charged with molesting children during the same time frame that I was accusing the babysitter of molesting my brother and I and some other kids.

Even the Canadian Forces Ombudsman has called for the MPCC to be transferred to its office as the CF Ombudsman has powers enshrined to it by Acts of Parliament that the Canadian Forces would never allow the MPCC to enjoy.

And this is where I end this posting.

No matter how hard these police review agencies try, they are still very much created by and under the control of the police agencies that they oversee. They can be stonewalled very easily by police officers, police management, and by police unions*. The thin blue line comes into play during these types of reviews.

If it wasn’t for a bystander’s video recording of the Robert Dziekański VYR incident back in 2007, the public would have had no choice but to swallow the narrative of the RCMP. That narrative was that Robert had, without provocation, attacked the sole RCMP officer and that the public was at great risk. The video turned that narrative right upside down. The RCMP media liaison who was responsible for relaying that outright lie to the public committed suicide out of humiliation.

Without video, the RCMP were able to get a police review board to sign of on the fact that an RCMP constable shot Ian Bush in the back of the head in self defence as Ian Bush apparently had the constable face down on the ground and was choking the constable from behind. Constable Gumby, as he was later nicknamed, was able to shoot Ian Bush in the back of the head. Not in the side, not in the face, but in the back of the head. Of course coincidentally the video recorders at the station were not working that night.

How do we fix the police?

We can’t. Not as they’re currently constructed. The police we have today are very much based upon the structures that were in place during the early 1900s when they were used to control immigrants, to control first nations people, to enforce unjust laws, to smash unions and labour organizations, to harass and arrest labour leaders, to spy on and attack gay rights organizations, and to protect the rich and the elites from the common unwashed.

Don’t forget, it was only as late as the 1980s that the RCMP were still using the “Fruit Machine” to detect homosexuals in the government and the Canadian Armed Forces and to have them expelled from those agencies.

But, after 100 years of mass media copaganda, I don’t think that the public has the will for change.

The Winnipeg General Strike could never occur today due to the weapons, armament, and violent tactics that police have at their disposal these days.

Police have far too much political influence these days. Any talk about reforming the police and making the police more responsive to the middle class and the poor is met with violent rhetoric about the collapse of society.

The cops love to talk tough about drugs. So why aren’t they going after the real drug dealers? Has the Sackler family spent one single solitary day in jail for the opioid crises that they knowingly unleashed on North America? Nope. Apparently arresting the people who unleashed such misery on the public can’t be arrested because that would stifle innovation. But let’s beat the ever loving fuck out of the drug user who got hooked on opioids when his doctor over prescribed them oxycontin for an ankle sprain.

How many Howe Street penny stock hustlers do you see going off to prison on a daily basis for fraud? Nope.

How many politicians do you see going to prison for fraud and theft? Nada.

Until we reform the police and change the mandate that governs the police and make everyone equally susceptible to arrest, things will never change.

As long as a heavily armed and armoured police officer are allowed to “fear for their lives” and see iPhones as “deadly weapons”, the police will never change.

Author: bobbiebees

I started out life as a military dependant. Got to see the country from one side to the other, at a cost. Tattoos and peircings are a hobby of mine. I'm a 4th Class Power Engineer. And I love filing ATIP requests with the Federal Government.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: